The purpose of this page is to give a brief overview of the campaign for character creation. This is a living document and will be updated as needed.
GENERAL CAMPAIGN INFO
CAMPAIGN NAME: The Call of Althara
Starting year: 4481 ASF (After Stellar Flight)
Rate game time passes: This varies depending on the action in the game.
Genre: Realistic or cinematic.
- The action tends to be cinematic, large explosions, crazy situations, etc. However, the game becomes realistic with death and relationships.
Are there multiple planes of existence?
- There is the normal space, and the Warp. The Warp space is different in that it can have different fragment, or shard realms.
General theme of campaign:
- The campaign will focus on the PC’s being part of a ship crew. The crew will have a multitude of missions. The purpose of the crew is to explore unknown space, following the captain’s quest to find lost tech.
- However, in order to finance the ship (a very expensive and run down living ship) and the expenses of exploring, the crew will have to perform jobs (much like Shadowrun). They will be paid out in shares of everything found in the exploration and the jobs.
Campaign’s base city, nation, empire, or planet:
- The main system they will be stationed at will be Pelagos Free Station. Which is a small moon that the ancients had refit as a complete base. However, the entire galaxy is part of the campaign. There will be maps uploaded that will give a clearer idea over time.
- A Free Station is a station and/or system under its own command. Pelages Free Station keeps a vaguely democratic leaderships style and government. Crime is more common on Free Stations from the trade that occurs, and the Free Stations allow this to happen since it is very very profitable.
Control Rating: Pelages Free Station: CR 2, Most empires CR 3, The See: CR 6
Exceptions to general CR: Because each planet itself could be slightly different then the overall governing body of that empire/corporation, CR can change pretty drastically between areas.
Tech level: Technology itself can vary drastically between planets.
Transportation: TL 12, Fast interstellar travel is common, multiple types of ships. Flying machines, shuttles, submarine craft all are available. This includes “superscience” transport.
Weapons and Armor: Most weapons and armor end at TL 10, however some societies fit up to TL 12 or into superscience. PC Weapons/Armor is TL 10 cap at beginning.
Power: TL 9/10 power is most common, but starships and other higher tech items do use up to TL 12 or “superscience” power.
Biotechnology/Medicine:TL 10 most common, however TL 11 (living machines) does exist, just as a rarer thing. TL 12 also on an even more limited basis (and don’t forget “superscience”).
Exceptions to general TL: The Warp can have a wildly varied influence on technology. Generally starships are built to be more resistant for their default equipment, by heavy use of insulating materials, but personal equipment generally can’t be insulated enough and is subject to the randomness of the warp. If the warp storm is strong enough, sometimes the insulation on a ship wont work.
Brief description of important neighboring powers, political/economic situation, etc.:
This is coming up and will be updated regularly.
INFORMATION FOR THE PCs
Starting point value allowed for PCs: 300pts
Disadvantage limit: 75pts
Especially useful/useless character types: Combat, driving/piloting, science
Especially appropriate/inappropriate professions: Must be useful in combat situations and/or exploration.
PC races allowed: More races will be added as we go.
- Human – Humans are the most varied individual race in existence. Their appearance, customs, culture and outlook are based on the family unit, planet, employer, and empire they grew up in. We will have upcoming histories/writeups for these characters for different areas as they come up.
- Daikon – Much like the traveling people from Earth (think Roma), they are very hardy and survive space well. More likely to have magical/psionic influence, capable of changing gender. History coming.
- Beastman – Mix of human and animal features, these creatures live around all of the galaxy. There is a cultural mix for some, however any beast man can be raised in any empire/cultural and may instead of following “traditional” culture they may follow the local culture.
- Various other races: The universe is filled with untold number of races that interact with the different cultures. The condition for designing your own race is you must have a general idea of the race itself (history, culture, etc), and all racial powers must be pre-approved. If they are approved I will add the race as an official race in the universe.
Starting wealth: 10,000 Credits
Starting Wealth levels allowed: For now no limit.
Starting Status levels allowed: For now no limit
Starting TL allowed: TL 10 without needing permission. If higher, GM permission required.
Languages available: All of them!
Cultural Familiarities available: All of them
Required advantages, disadvantages, and skills: None
Especially appropriate or inappropriate advantages, disadvantages, and skills: Unkillable (not allowed).
Appropriate Patrons (and base value): Any
Appropriate Enemies (and base value): Any (GM permission ahead of time)
Special Abilities Allowed for PCs: N/A
Exotic/supernatural traits: All but unkillable allowed for now.
Cinematic skills: All, with GM permission.
Are PC mages allowed? Yes
General mana level: Varies per planet, extremely variable in warp.
Do areas of higher/lower mana exist? Yes
Are any of the spells from Chapter 5 off limits? None at this time, but please run by GM before finalizing.
Are PC psionics allowed? Are any of the powers from Chapter 6 off limits? None at this time, but please run by GM before finalizing.
Are PC gadgeteers allowed? Are there special limits on gadgeteering? None at this time, but please run by GM before finalizing.
Legal or social restrictions on these abilities: Different empires/corporations/The See have restrictions on magic/social or other legal things. Varies per planet even.
Other Notes: This is in a constant state of change. If you have any questions just let us know.